Re: [gNewSense-users] contrasted with...

From: Markus Laire
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] contrasted with...
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 16:55:40 +0300

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/p/python-pgsql/python-pgsql_2.4.0-6ubuntu3/copyright

On 10/25/07, Peter Rock <address@hidden> wrote:

> To me, the "and" indicates a separate term of agreement. This makes
> the "for any purpose" include "to make money" as a purpose. If I'm
> allowed to distribute "for any purpose" then I don't see how I can be
> told that I'm not allowed to distribute with the purpose of making
> money from that distribution.
>
> But without the "and" the "for any purpose" goes hand-in-hand with
> "without fee". That is, you can only distribute so long as it is for
> no charge.
>
> Does this make sense?

Only problem with that interpretation is that in that case, the words
"and without fee" would have absolutely no purpose in the license,
since "for any purpose" would already include "without fee".

So IMHO it's quite clear that license-writer intended that text to
mean that it can be distributed only without fee.

btw, would it be possible to list licenses like this as "Maybe free"
since license-text seems ambiguous and it's not 100% clear whether the
license is free or not?

--
Markus Laire