Re: [gNewSense-users] Main xm-xr has been checked

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Main xm-xr has been checked
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2007 16:24:49 -0400

I did want to bring something up for whomever is maintaining this set
of packages, and in general ALL packages...

gNewSense has removed packages before that include Free Software
licenses. The ATI radeon driver is one example, because even though
the license is Free, it requires the use of microcode. In the same
note, the kernel Linux itself is licensed under GPL and is known to
have "binary blobs" that we remove as well.

I'm sure Brian has skimmed xserver-xorg and the kernel packages
himself, but perhaps having someone with actual programming
understanding verify these as well might help us identify other
issues.

Or, if Brian would be willing to point out key things to look for,
that would be great too.

-Kevin