Re: [gNewSense-users] Trademarks In gNewSense and the status of the CDDL

From: Kevin Dean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Trademarks In gNewSense and the status of the CDDL License
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2007 11:22:59 -0500

Yeah, it's a very interesting case...

Joerg pointed something else out to me that we REALLY need to look
into when gNewSense 2.0 comes around.

There are a BUNCH of applications that have GPLv2 or later and some
projects will upgrade to version 3. However, 2 and three are
incompatible, (like the CDDL and GPL) and some upgrades might actually
make the software undistributable in binary form. :P

I'm trying to find out what is the "best" solution to this. Obviously
the entire package is Free Software now and obviously we're quite able
to distribute the source. The problem is that the BINARIES can't be
distributed because we can't meet the terms of both the GPL and the
CDDL at the same time.