Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 18:38:06 +0200

Peter and Jesse wrote:
On Tue, 2008-15-04 at 20:53 +0800, Christophe Jarry wrote:
Luis Alberto Guzmán García 写道:
Hi!

I found some BSD code, and the license is not GPL, indeed it has no
license.
drivers/net/bsd_comp.c
But recalls the use of no GPL and the terms to redistribute, it can be seen in
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Ubuntu-hardy-linux-2-6-24-12-22--drivers--net--bsd-comp-c

is a little long so i didn't copy it here.
How can we see this? Free?
Thanks
This seems to be the Modified BSD license as described at
http://www.gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html. If it is, it's free.

 I'm not sure so could someone recheck?

No, this is the original BSD license. See the clause about advertising,
which makes it incompatible with the GPL, but still free. So we should
be fine.
 Peter

If it's incompatible with the GPL then we're not fine because then it can not be distributed as part of the kernel.

I'm not sure what that update section talks about. It says the copyright has changed, but I think they mean the license. Presumably the original license was the original BSD license, but has now been updated to be the modified BSD license. I think it's better to confirm this with the copyright holders.