Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] BSD code
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 20:01:50 +0200

Peter and Jesse wrote:
The copyright notice says "The Regents of the University of California" (plural) so there might be more than one person you can contact?

If we could find who put the update-statement in there we could ask that person. The best thing I could find was http://lxr.linux.no/linux-old+v2.4.0/drivers/net/bsd_comp.c, which shows that the update was introduced in 2.4.0. Does anybody know of an easy web front end to the kernel revision logs so that we can find the author of the change?

Ooh, you're right. I contacted Paul Mackerras (paulus), but looking at
the old kernels, his time-stamped name is there before the license was
changed. Regarding the Regents of the University of California, they
would have been the copyright holders in the original license, so I
wouldn't think they would have anything to do with the problematic
introduction. However, if folks want, I can try to get a hold of the
appropriate people at the U of C.
 Peter

Well, the automatic change from original BSD license to modified BSD license applied to all code originating from Berkeley. So if they can confirm that this code is theirs and that it now falls under the modified BSD license then we can give the OK on this code and ask upstream to make the update statement more clear (copyright -> license, add reference to license change, explain module-only restriction).