[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
[gNewSense-users] KFV Mode 0.7: "Careful" keybindings, many bugs fixed,
[gNewSense-users] KFV Mode 0.7: "Careful" keybindings, many bugs fixed, features
Sat, 26 Apr 2008 02:38:06 -0400
Gnus/5.13 (Gnus v5.13) Emacs/23.0.60 (gnu/linux)
** Announcing KFV Mode 0.7 **
I am happy to announce KFV Mode 0.7, a program that helps automate the
Kernel Freedom Verification (KFV) project of the gNewSense GNU/Linux
distribution. Version 0.7 is attached to the end of this email.
Changes since 0.6:
* Keybindings more suitable to careful reading of files:
- 'Return' still prompts for a code but only for files seen in their
entirety. Windows holding longer files get the keyboard focus,
allowing more convenient movement with the file.
- 'Tab' is a new binding for any window browsing a file opened from
KFV Mode. It jumps back to the previous window (normally the
window of the file's section), and *then* prompts for a code.
- 'Insert' is a new binding for any file entry line in the table.
It simply prompts for a code.
- Outside the table Return and Insert both have normal function.
* Missing parent pages of the original section are now generated and
uploaded. Such "riskier" markup appears within special lines.
* Bug fixes:
- Ignore files and directories with a leading dot (e.g., .gitignore)
- Several important bugs and limitations involving directories are
now gone. Chances are if you suffered from any, this will help.
- Many other fixes for (sometimes ancient and weird) bugs.
* Better markup -- no dot file miscounting, more precise percentages, etc.
* Many display, doc, and design updates.
* Thanks to all KFV Mode users. In particular, Markus has provided
valuable feedback on bugs and features in recent releases that will
help everyone. Please continue to give feedback to help all of us be
more effective on KFV!
* The new keybindings will take some getting used to. Just take it
slow and easy in the beginning to help retrain your finger muscle
memory. This is a much bigger change then some previous interface
changes. The changes were motivated by the mailing list discussion
on more thorough reading to check for sourceless firmware.
* The more thorough reading that the new keybindings encourage makes it
all the more important to give feedback about problems and wishes.
Display enhancements to help with increased reading are currently
planned for a subsequent version, but new ideas are always needed.
Features of KFV Mode 0.7:
* Do a section page of the gNewSense KFV project entirely within Emacs
* Scripted uploading of markup avoids wasteful busywork of a web browser
* Automated markup generation reduces work and makes pages more consistent
* Highlighting helps focus attention on license details
* Keybindings and error checking reduces typos and speeds data entry
* Very easy navigation among files, sections, and subsections
* Every function and variable documented for straightforward customization
* Incorporates latest changes to formatting conventions in KFV project
KFV Mode runs under the Emacs editor and has been lightly tested on
Emacs versions 21 and recent snapshots. It is as simple as loading the
attached file in Emacs with load-file and then running the kfv-start
Code and feedback are appreciated. Even if you do not plan to use Emacs
for helping with KFV, perhaps you might consider copying some of
KFV Mode's features into other software.
Description: KFV Mode 0.7
|[Prev in Thread]
||[Next in Thread]|
- [gNewSense-users] KFV Mode 0.7: "Careful" keybindings, many bugs fixed, features,
Bake Timmons <=