Re: [gNewSense-users] Would this script be useful to clean up Package fi

From: Brian Brazil
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Would this script be useful to clean up Package files?
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 10:23:19 +0100

On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 6:53 AM, Karl Goetz <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-05-18 at 01:40 -0400, Bake Timmons wrote:

> >> Yes -- unless there is a better way.
> >
> > Sounds like the best place to do it to me :) (means we dont have to
> > re-patch every package management tool to cope)
>
> OK, I look forward to Someone (eventually) installing it, committing
> it to svn, etc.  Thanks. :)

I expect it would get patched into do-update [1], but Brian can probably
comment on how sane that would be (i dont have a test system atm).

Making Packages inconsistent with the actual packages doesn't sound like a safe idea, and it'll be undone as soon as you actually install such a package in any case - aside from the various amounts of confusion it would cause.

The correct way to handle this is to file bugs upstream. Using Enhances rather than Suggests will handle most of these.

Brian