Re: [gNewSense-users] create a stripped version

From: meandean
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] create a stripped version
Date: Sun, 25 May 2008 07:38:10 -0700

-------- Original Message --------

If you want it to be. ;)
It will probably be as 'low resource' as a gnome system can get - although I
did not specifically make any gconf tweaks to try and make gnome/nautilus use
even less resources.  I would actually consider it more of a
roll-your-own-gnome-based-system. Personally, I like gnome but do not like a
lot of heavy apps and I do not like having things installed that I do not use.
So that really is the motivation for it.

> It expect can be offical *if*:
>  - it builds using builder
>  - stays free
>  - is named gNewSense-<some defining bit here>
>
> Note thats not authoritive, just 'i suspect'

Builder is overkill for this purpose IMO. How about a simple customization
(remaster) of the official ISO? Yes it stays free - nothing added only removed!
If they could be official builds and be hosted by gnewsense then I would be
happy to dedicate a good amount of time to doing this. I would gladly create
some other slim versions of gNewSense with different desktops.

> > or if I need to be sure to acknowledge that it is a unofficial ISO?
>
> Until it becomes official it would be good if you could be clear its
> unoffical :)

Will do! I hope it is alright to use the gnewsense artwork and even the name as
long as I make it clear it is an 'unofficial gNewSense deltah'  on the isolinux
splash screen. I wonder if custom unofficial builds could/should be listed on
the gnewsense download page under a UNOFFICIAL BUILD heading with a description
that explains the difference. Having some custom builds (official or
unofficial) would provide some choice if nothing else.

> >  Also, does gnewsense have any policy/guidelines about unofficial ISOs?
>
> Not per se, although i'm happy to work with you on some.

Not sure I am the guy for the job. Seems to me the only thing that could be a
issue would be use of the gnewsense name, logo, and artwork. So a policy that
covers when and how you are allowed to use the name/logo/artwork and besides
that ask for some consideration in regards to making it clear it is an
unofficial version.
Some ideas:
Ask that the build is designated by the codename and not the release number -
no confusion about it being a actual release.
Ask that the word UNOFFICIAL be displayed on the isolinux splash screen that is
shown when someone boots the cd - no way for anyone to miss that.
Maybe require that usage of the name/logo/artwork is restricted to images
containing only free software.

Thanks for the info/feedback
meandean
ps - Should have the ISO done in the next twelve hours or so.