Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Yet another bug-fix to kfv.el 0.7

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Yet another bug-fix to kfv.el 0.7
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2008 02:35:07 -0400

> Trying to figure out what the latest recommended-for-general-use version
> of kfv.el is - this, the one uploaded to
> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Kfv-script also marked as 0.7, or the
> one marked 0.8 up at http://download.gna.org/pfv-mode/kfv.el -- going by
> dates, it would be the last of those.

I am still shaking out a few bugs in kfv.el.

One reason for a delay in releasing it is that it keeps catching
featuritis and is even quite different from the "0.8" beta that you
noticed.  The good news is that I am tired of delaying it and will try
hard tomorrow to get it out.  I think it is safe to try out that
beta--it is notably better and more productive than 0.7.  I have been
using these beta versions not to check hundreds of files but also to
make occasional updates and fixes to section pages.

> It looks like this is mostly of academic interest at the moment, since
> it looks like 100% of the Ubuntu-hardy-linux-ubuntu-modules-2-6-24-16-23
> files have been looked at, and there are just a few lingering questions
> regarding specific files left.

KFV Mode has two immediate roles beyond section
Ubuntu-hardy-linux-ubuntu-modules-2-6-24-16-23.  First, there is the
much bigger and more diverse section
http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Kernel/Image that has been on hold for the
past few months as we attended to the modules.  Second, it will likely
figure somehow into the much, much bigger task of PFV (hence the
original project name at the gna.org address above) for packages.

Of course, in the long-term it will have to be used to deal with
updates, hopefully with new ways of minimizing redundant checking.

Thanks for your interest.