Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?

From: Bake Timmons
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: VLC is non free?
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 23:05:56 -0400

>     lack of upgrades between stable releases, which basically makes the
>     distro unsuitable for serious use.
>
> What's this part mean?

I don't mean to speak for Yavor, but as an ex-Debian user, I recall
*active* daily updates for Debian (between stable releases)--unlike
the case for Ubuntu, I suppose.  If you benefit much from staying on
the cutting edge, then Debian might come out a lot better here.  I
think it depends on the kinds of packages that you really use heavily.
For myself, I just periodically update from repositories and install
locally a few packages critical to me.

BTW, for those missing VLC--and I did miss it, too--xine-ui has worked
well for me.  Indeed, I recall it playing some stuff better than vlc
(and gxine).