Re: [gNewSense-users] Moving pages in the wiki

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Moving pages in the wiki
Date: Sun, 17 Aug 2008 11:55:21 +0200

Karl Goetz wrote:
Hi all,
I'm hatching a plan to reorganise the wiki. It would be to try and get
different 'classes' of page into their own section, instead of sitting
under /Main/*.

Cool. I have thought about cleaning up the wiki myself a few times, but trying to come up with a sensible structure made my head hurt.

Firstly, I'll point out this can only happen if PmWIKI supports page moves
and renames - ours doesnt seem to currentlyu.

So far, i've thought the following would be useful:

/Documentation/ (exists)
/FreedomVerification/ (for PFV, KFV, and related things)
/Projects/ (exists)
/Builder/ (exists)
/Translations/ (exists)
/IRC/ (exists)
/Community/ (exists)

- Documentation: is this supposed to be user documentation only or also developer/contributor documentation? - FreedomVerification, Builder, Translations: I would say these are projects, so I think it's more logical to put them under Projects. - IRC: it's a community resource, so why not place it under Community? (Same goes for mailing lists.)

I'm also thinking of merging these pages:
Main/CurrentProjects and Main/HowToHelp

CurrentProjects is a dry (and possibly overwhelming) list of things to do. HowToHelp is a friendly invitation to join the community. It has items that aren't really projects, like joining the mailing list. I think it's better to make HowToHelp more inviting (more entry-level tasks, like "Put a button on your blog") and more visible (on the homepage, Community-page or in the menu).

And want to rename these:
Main/TranslatingTheWWWSite

And move these:
Main/CurrentProjects to Projects/Current

Is it useful to have a current projects page? Are there projects that are not current? Is it clear which projects are actively being worked on (a.k.a. current) and which aren't?

An action I've already taken today was splitting
Main/TranslatingTheWWWSite into three pages - Main/TranslatingTheWWWSite,
IRC.Creating, Main.MailingList (although i'm not sure MilingList should be
there)

Finally, I've created http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Main/EditingGuidelines -
could people please help me tidy it up and make it useable? :)

Thoughts on all this? I think cleaning up the broken links, making sure
the translations are all ok still would be a fair amount of work.

kk