Re: [gNewSense-users] Changing the forum

From: J.B. Nicholson-Owens
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Changing the forum
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2008 18:18:18 -0500

James Freer wrote:
What's wrong with their licence? I've missed something?

The Simple Machines License is non-free because it prohibits distributing the software for a fee (section 1c).

I don't know if the "express written consent" requirements means that licensees have to acquire additional permission beyond the permissions granted in the license. If that's what express written consent means, those clauses too would make this license non-free as users would never be sure if they could help their community by distributing modified versions of the software without getting permission each time.

As for addressing the main point of this thread: I've written on my opinions of mailing lists and web forums earlier.