Re: [gNewSense-users] FUSBi - Free USB Installer

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] FUSBi - Free USB Installer
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2008 18:32:48 +0200

Koh Choon Lin wrote:
Dear Ali Gunduz

I have modified the UNetbootin usb image creator and started my new
pet project called FUSBi (Free USB Installer). It is a GUI tool that
automatically downloads iso files and installs bootable usb images
from them. It has both GNU/Linux and Windows builds. It supports only
gNewSense 2.1 for now.

Nice software. I have never try installing gNS onto a thumb drive
before and I might be doing it soon though. I would like to ask; Is
your software a necessary too to do so, or is there another method,
albeit more complex, to perform this genre of installation?

I can slightly recall Ubuntu has the ability to install straight into
a thumb drive during a normal installation.

I've installed gNewSense on a stick from the live CD when 2.0 came out. The only thing you have to watch out for is to install GRUB on the stick itself.

My intention was to use it when repairing other people's systems: one partition with free software for Windows, the other with gNewSense. It turns out that Windows is too dumb to realize that USB drives can also be partioned and just shows it as an unformatted drive.

Another piece of advice: make sure you use a fast stick. I bought what I hoped was a fast one, but actually operates at glaciel speed. If I run anything beyond Fluxbox on it, not only me, but also the software on the stick starts to want to kill itself. I never really knew what slow was until the first time I ran 'apt-get upgrade' on that thing. :)