Re: [gNewSense-users] restructuring the website

From: Graziano Sorbaioli
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] restructuring the website
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:05:47 +0100

Karl Goetz wrote:
>> (1) the documentation page
>> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Documentation/Documentation
>> is way too difficult to reach, ...
>
> How so? Its linked from the front page of the wiki, and our wiki is on
> the side panel.

Karl, a user who comes to a website via the homepage today expects to
find some usual sections that became standard over time: about, contact,
documentation, and so on.

I agree with Ben that the homepage has to be restructured in a different
way.
I can do it by myself if you want, I am not asking anyone to do the job.

>> (2) while the builder is very important, people who visit the web site
>> will mainly be interested in gNS and not in the builder.
>> (if this assumption is not right, please excuse me)
>> for those the information about the builder is noise which is bound to
>> make life difficult for them.
>
> A whopping 2 links on the front page they have to not click.

I think the majority of users that comes to our website are not so
interested in builder so we can put it in a sub section.

>> i would like to suggest a new structure for the main menu, which would
>> be more standard and hence easier and faster to understand. my
>> suggestion is far from complete, of course, and is only meant as a
>> starting point for discussion.
>
> "... more standard ..." interesting concept. Not sure how what you
> proposed makes us closer to matching ... anyone.

This is wrong.
As you can read on many Jacob Nielsen books (a great accessibility and
usability expert) users saw specific things in specific parts of the
page that now they are expecting them to be there and not in other parts
(name and logo up left, search engine up right and so on).

Obviously you can put these things where you want but studies
demonstrates there is a place where users expect these things to be
placed and can find them easier if they are in those parts of the page.

So, yes, there IS a quite common proven standard.

>> aggregation of all the gNS user information under 'Documentation'
>
> Its all under wiki.gnewsense.org - which I don't find entirely
> unreasonable.

good so we can put a link called "Documentation" in the main page and
point it to the documentation part on the wiki.

I repeat, I don't want to move pieces of the website around, I am only
suggesting to do a horizontal menu on the main page that lists the most
common sections.

- --
Graziano Sorbaioli -- www.sorbaioli.org
Support freedom?
Join the Free Software Foundation: http://www.fsf.org/jf?referrer=5796
Supporters will receive our new USB membership card with gNewSense Live
NO EMAIL from gmail accounts, >1Mb, html, ms-office files