Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS

From: Tor at Shared Genius
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] basic questions about gNS
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:22:40 -1000

Neither Gnash nor swfdec work perfectly yet. Somewhere there is a .xpi plugin of the latest Gnash, and I know swfdec can be installed from source. The versions in the repos are old, and won't work very well with new stuff.

Tor

Bubba cakes wrote:
I still haven't been able to download an Adobe Flashplayer that works. Is there one in the Repositories?

    On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 3:33 PM, Ted Smith <address@hidden

        On Mon, 2009-02-16 at 16:23 -0500, Bubba cakes wrote:
        > Hi, all,
        > I hope this is the right list...
        >
        > I have some basic questions, and I wonder if this is the
        place to ask
        > them.

        Probably as good as any. :)
        > I want to know about internet security, how to keep my
        computer from
        > being infected with viruses, spamware, spyware, adware,
        > whatever-ware...
        >
        > Is there a program that I can run to check all my files and
        drives for
        > security problems?
        >
        > What about a firewall?
        >
        > Actually, I don't know what I need.  I'm a construction guy,
        and need
        > you computer guys to tell me what to do.

        You don't need any of the above.

        Going through the list, there's no such thing as viruses, adware,
        spyware, whatever, for GNU/Linux. This is for a combination of
        reasons
        -- the system isn't a very alluring target for bot herders,
        but it's
        also built much more securely than Windows, so it's much harder to
        infect.

        By default, gNewSense doesn't have any network services
        active, meaning
        there's no reason to use a firewall.

        If you really want to run security programs, I suggest
        chkrootkit and
        rkhunter. They are programs that install themselves to run
        automatically
        every so often and report on how vulnerable or 'hacked' the system
        looks. They can have a lot of false positives though, so
        unless you want
        to learn more about security, I wouldn't bother with them.

        > I would like to be able to browse the internet without being
        monitored
        > by anyone.  I would also like to send emails without
        receiving ten
        > freakin advertisements based on words I just sent to someone.
         Is this
        > possible?

        In a sense. However, I don't think you're meaning exactly what
        you're
        asking.

        You could set up Tor (there's a detailed guide on doing that on
        <http://torproject.org>, follow the Ubuntu/Debian
        instructions) for
        anonymous browsing, but if you just want to avoid ads, then
        just install
        the Adblock extension for Firefox (I believe the package is called
        adblock-plus, but if you just searched adblock in Add/Remove,
        you'd find
        it). Additionally...

        > Is it possible to use the internet and email (Gmail) without
        somebody
        > always reading/monitoring my activities?

        Not really. Email is a clear-text protocol. Your email
        provider will be
        able to read any emails you send via them, unless they are
        encrypted.
        Setting up email encryption is a more complex task that would
        make this
        a very long message, so I'll just refer you to the vast amount
        of guides
        on google. Note that it isn't particularly hard, just complicated.

        In terms of ads directed at your email content, there's no way
        to stop
        google from gathering data from you if you use their service,
        but you
        can stop seeing them if you set up an email client like
        Thunderbird or
        Evolution.
        > Is Gmail email using a proxy server? (I think it is, but
        don't really
        > know.)

        No, definitely not. What do you mean by "proxy server", though?

    I couldn't say it any better.

-- Luis A. Guzmán García