Re: [gNewSense-users] flash player

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] flash player
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 20:10:38 -0400

On Fri, 2009-03-27 at 19:46 -0300, Leo wrote:
> On Friday 27 March 2009 19:37:37 Schoap D wrote:

> > > I wrote a script to watch YouTube videos on VLC.
> > >
> > > svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/urip
> > >
> > how do you use this?
>

> copy paste the following commands
>
> svn co svn://svn.sv.gnu.org/urip
> cd urip
> chmod +x watchtube
> sudo cp watchtube /usr/bin/
>
> Then whenever you want to watch a YouTube video just copy the address, open a
> terminal and type
>
> watchtube youtube_address
>
> eg:
>
> watchtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOU8GIRUd_g
>
> You need VLC installed, though. I don't remember if VLC was included in the
> repos. If it's not, then I'll have to modify the script.

Alternatively, if you want to put a URL into terminal, you could use
youtube-dl, which should be in the gNewSense universe repositories
(Traditional BSD license). It's a great little tool that you can use to
get flash or mp4 videos off of youtube. I have this in my .bashrc:

alias youtube-dl='youtube-dl -t -b -u <username> -p <password>'

so all I have to do to get a video is run youtube-dl <video URL> and I
get an mp4 file bearing the name of the movie's title.