Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] libre people
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 00:23:55 +0200

Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - schreef:
Sam Geeraerts wrote:
Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix - schreef:
Sam Geeraerts wrote:
My words? I had issues with the words libre and free, not freedom. Anyway, I can see that software would not be the first thing on people's minds when you say Freedom, but do you really think people would take offence? That sounds a bit strange, but then I'm not a native English speaker nor do I have a cultural background that would have such associations. Interesting thought.
I do or I would not have said it.

Freedom, tends to be Freedom Fighters, which as we all know one person's freedom fighter, is another person's terrorist.

Freedom fries.

Alright, so probably "Freedom + <noun>" has a negative connotation for an amount of people too significant for us not to take into account. I'm not saying we should discard the term completely, but we should at least consider the alternatives a bit more.

Now, I wonder if the term "libre" has a similar issue for Spanish or French speakers. If it does, please let us know.