[gNewSense-users] Re: Recommended way of releasing a package for gNewSen

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: Recommended way of releasing a package for gNewSense
Date: Thu, 21 May 2009 11:43:44 -0400

Niklas Cholmkvist wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone have a recommended way to release a package for gNewSense?
> Could a solution be to make the package on gNewSense, then upload it to
> the Hardy Heron repositories, and then notify on the mailing list that
> it is available there, and later imported to the gNewSense repositories?
>
> I've not yet made a package , except a few video tutorials I followed
> for Hardy Heron.

IMHO we should either have our own repositories for more up-to-date
versions of specific packages (I don't think backports is a great
solution, because you get a big blob of possibly unstable stuff you
probably don't care about having the latest versions of in addition to
stuff like latest gnash), or just incorporate them into more frequent
point releases.

I don't think we should be dependent on upstream to incorporate packages
before we use them; I'm not personally against corporation with upstream
in general, I just don't think that corporation should be a requirement
for an improvement to gnewsense.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny