Re: [gNewSense-users] Is ZIP a free file format?

From: Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Is ZIP a free file format?
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:07:18 -0500

El mié, 26-08-2009 a las 22:26 +0200, Graziano Sorbaioli escribió:
> Il giorno mer, 26/08/2009 alle 14.40 -0500, Luis Felipe Lopez Acevedo ha
> scritto:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to make a list of free file formats to recommend to the
> > national education service of my country and I'd like to know if the ZIP
> > file is free.
> Last time I asked the FSF zip was a free format.

If I tell them ZIP is a free file format, I'd need to reference some
information where they can see for themselves. For example, a definition
of what is considered a free file format and the specification of the
format. Could I use these, respectively:

But, again, the specification seems not free to me.