[OT] ohh I say read a book Re: [gNewSense-users] Vrms Comments

From: Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
Subject: [OT] ohh I say read a book Re: [gNewSense-users] Vrms Comments
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:02:31 +0100

Ted Smith wrote:
On Sun, 2009-09-13 at 18:37 +0100, Paul O'Malley - gnu's not unix -
wrote:
Ted Smith wrote:

It uses the FSF definition as much as Debian uses the DFSG.

Its behaviour is very broken, it uses a list generated by repositories and it looks at an exclude file for things are known bugs in Debian.

I meant Ubuntu as a distro, not VRMS.
Ahh I say, and pause, minor off topic drift approaching.

FSF Free guidelines and DFSG disagree so you can't have both and be internally consistent, unless you have this space called no barrier where the inconsistent things become "or" values, and I don't think that is very useful. I realise that lots of people don't understand the problems that create the need for others like the Debian Project and the FSF to make comment on society with statements like DFSG and FSF Free. There is badness afoot, and some of it is proprietary software and the methods, however society faces bigger issues than Software Freedom, which is, in my opinion by the way one of the major indicators of what is wrong, but not the only one. For more information you can see plenty of other issues which are dealt with by the excellent, and although academic in some of its content, ot remains an exceptional accessible book: Against Intellectual Monopoly by Michele Boldrin, and David K. Levine, in it they treat game theory and economics to a review, the likes of which you most likely have never seen before.

It presents its arguments well, and in a cogent fashion.

See this review:

http://mises.org/store/Against-Intellectual-Monopoly-P552.aspx

(yes there is huge irony in the server serving that - what can I say - ohh I made reference to the server ....)

It is readable on line, however here we come to one of those strange situations, where I advocate buy and read it, it is my opinion that their views need further access to society, and it is only by having hard copies out there can you hand on the ideas as to what could improve our society because certain philosophies in vogue today just mean you lose your freedom.

Regards,

Paul