Re: [gNewSense-users] unclear licence of AMSLatex (fwd)

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] unclear licence of AMSLatex (fwd)
Date: Fri, 18 Sep 2009 21:56:19 +0200

Karl Goetz schreef:
        Unlimited copying and redistribution of this file are permitted as
        long as this file is not modified.  Modifications, and
        distribution of modified versions, are permitted, but only if the
        resulting file is renamed.

For the moment, I have two questions/comments:
- How does this licence apply to downstreams (eg, the 2nd level of
distribution from AMS). Do they need to create a new file name (thereby
having 3 file names for code thats potentially 95% the same)
- As a result of the file renaming, anything which wants to source the new
version will need to be updated to source the new file name.

If they're going to go through with this then some form of documentation about how to do this renaming properly would be nice. Or better yet: a script.

Would this renaming affect normal use of AMS-LaTeX? (I'm not sure if using a LaTeX package means directly referring to a file or directory name.)

They say "file(s)", but do they also mean to include directory names? (Maybe it doesn't matter and maybe a directory name can't be copyrighted, but I'd rather be clear about it.)