Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .

From: Luis Felipe López Acevedo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Playing Youtube videos from Totem .
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:09:46 -0500

El vie, 06-11-2009 a las 22:04 +0530, R.Siddharth escribió:
> I have enabled the Youtube browser plugin in totem , and I am able to
> search videos but I am not able to play them , I get an error window
> saying this :
> "Totem cannot play this type of media (YouTube) because you do not have
> the appropriate plugins to handle it."
>  "Please install the necessary plugins and restart Totem to be able to
> play this media."
>
> I want to somehow be able to view Youtube videos , Typical suggestion to
> this problem would be 'Icetea' but I don't prefer this as I am very much
> comfortable with Epiphany .

YouTube videos are in non-free file formats and you need Adobe Flash
Player (non-free software) to enjoy the service. If you care about
freedom, don't use YouTube.

To see YouTube videos in Totem you will have to install free software
whose only purpose is to handle non-free file formats. I'd suggest not
to do that.

Soon we will have the opportunity to enjoy video on the Web using free
technology only; and it will happen faster if we support that
technology.

Respectfully,