Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense.org Wiki Site pages can a UTF-8 encodin

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] gNewSense.org Wiki Site pages can a UTF-8 encoding?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2009 13:31:17 +0100

Léon schreef:
Hello:

I want to edit Chinese gNewsense wiki content, but found in garbage.

gNewSense.org pmwiki web coding can from ISO-8859-1 into UTF-8 encoding? This
is conducive to edit multilingual content (eg: Chinese), not garbled.

Excuse me.I am not English, I use google translate written.

This problem has been discussed before [1]. Our wiki is set up for iso-8859-1 and anything outside that range is converted to HTML entities. I haven't found an easy way to solve this.

A script like this could be helpful:
- Download $URL?action=source
- Convert HTML entities to Unicode characters
- Open in $EDITOR
- (Edit + save)
- Convert characters outside iso-8859-1 range to HTML entities
- Upload to $URL?action=edit

But we're moving the wiki from PmWiki to Moinmoin, which can handle UTF-8 better.

[1] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnewsense-users/2009-02/msg00029.html
[2] http://moinmo.in/UnicodeSupport