Re: [gNewSense-users] dvd no detected, don't play dvds or cdroms

From: Sam Geeraerts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] dvd no detected, don't play dvds or cdroms
Date: Thu, 14 Jan 2010 21:57:04 +0100

Wilfredo Rivera schreef:
I do have a request for help. My DVD which I know it works, won't play
cd's or DVD's. I have been looking at a couple of how to's but they're
old and have not been able to help. I did a Discover but can't see
anything related to DVD or CDrom for that matter.
I do recall that when first booting from the cd to install gns I had to
pass "all_generic_ide" to prompt because of the busybox prompt that
showed up before the actual install. I don't know if that had something
to do. Also, I looked into my /etc/fstab file and does not say anything
about dvd. It's like its not even there...

It could be the first problem described in Hardy's release caveats [1]. The related bug report [2] has been marked as Fix Released, so make sure you have all the updates.

If an updated system still doesn't work then those release notes suggest to connect the drive as slave or always boot with "all_generic_ide". For the latter option, edit /boot/grub/menu.lst [3]. You'll probably find a line saying:

# defoptions=quiet splash

Change that to:

# defoptions=quiet splash all_generic_ide

and then run 'sudo update-grub' (without quotes) in a terminal.

[1] http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/hardy/beta#head-2aeb09ed1ccc470c1f83b77fe62a06c43280dd68
[2] https://launchpad.net/bugs/181561
[3] In a terminal: sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst