Re: [gNewSense-users] free video cards

From: Dmitry Samoyloff
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] free video cards
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 21:58:04 +0300

Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> Dmitry Samoyloff schreef:
> > Sam Geeraerts wrote:
> >> [2]
> >
> > The ATI section of this page links to the Freedesktop's page. The latter
> > document describes functionality of (mostly?) blob-dependent drivers.
> > Shouldn't it be noted on the FSF's page?
> If the Freedesktop page doesn't mention the blobs, then a warning on
> that hardware list would be nice. It's a public wiki, so you can add it
> yourself.

I've put the warning there. It should be more concrete though, because I have
no information about *all* of the ATI chipsets.

I wrote that "most" are blobbed, but in fact they are all. At least, I see the
blobs for all of ATI chipsets in the Linux "firmware/radeon" directory. I just
unsure if they are all essential for 2D/3D acceleration.

I'm an FSF member -- Help us support software freedom!