Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Songbird freedom

From: Ted Smith
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Songbird freedom
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2010 13:38:54 -0500

On Mon, 2010-03-08 at 18:18 +0000, Nuno Miguel dos Santos Baeta wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Thank you for all your answers.  I am continuing my search for a
> really free iTunes replacement.  If you know of such program,
> especially if it runs on GNU/Linux, Windows, Mac OS X and is Mono
> free, please tell me.

Does Rhythmbox not work for you for some reason? I've found it a more
than capable media player/manager. It looks similar to iTunes, if that's
a requirement, and (I've found) is great for advocacy, because it looks
similar to iTunes, but contains many features which are analogues to
anti-features in iTunes, such as the capability to import music from a
portable device, or to download music from DAAP shares (though it can't
connect to iTunes DAAP shares if the iTunes version is greater than 7,
because Apple started using DRM on the protocol). It also supports
libre.fm (for scrobbling) and jamendo (for listening and downloading).