Re: [gNewSense-users] network connection

From: dajo
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] network connection
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2010 08:57:26 -0700

I have not done it partly because I am very busy with other non-computer
issues for the next few weeks; but also because I do not see much point in
working with an obsolete kernel.  Actually I am not a lazy person and have
made software contributions to the fsf in the past; but that cannot happen
just now.

This thread of mine just preceded another thread "Converting people to
free software" and I find this juxtaposition interesting and what is
happening somewhat curious.  I want to use a free distribution; I have
arrived here via websites for fsf and gNewSense, and a "get help" link.  I
got help, for which I am very grateful, in divining the problem - a
non-free network card - but when I ask the almost trivial question "which
of the 40 or so acceptable cards listed on the fsf site probably will work
with gNewSense?" (alternatively: "which card do you use?") I get complete
silence.  That is very frustrating, very puzzling; and, in the context of
a discussion about attracting people to free software, very confusing.  I
do not even need to be "converted", but I cannot get some simple hardware
recommendations!

You may hear from me again, Quiliro, I miss working on software, and I
like what I have seen about gNewSense.  On the other hand, maybe I shall
find another free distribution that works for me.

I still would like to get recommendations for network cards; I leave for
the computer store, for something else, in an hour or two 8-)

dajo