Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: development libraries

From: avr
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: development libraries
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:09:36 +0100

On Tue, Mar 09, 2010 at 09:35:15AM -0500, MK wrote:
> On Mon, 08 Mar 2010 12:00:33 -0500
> Jason Self wrote:
> > sudo aptitude install libglib2.0-dev
> >
> > It's there.
> >
> > > Never had any problems like this on any other debian derived system
> > > I have worked on, and there have been a few. _I'm a programmer and
> > > do a lot of source building, never had any problem finding dev libs
> > > with apt. _At all.
> >
> > And yet you didn't find this....
>
> Well -- I did not really believe that there is no dev package available
> for glib on gnewsense.  It would be completely infeasible without
> that.  My point was that it does not show up when searching the
> repository.  If, as a long term debian user, this happens to me, that
> kind of implies the problem is not my inability to use or understand
> apt (which I have for years) but that there *must be* some peculiar
> issue with the gnewsenes repository.

I can't comment on whether a debian repository search is different than
one on gnewsense. But on debian #apt-cache search frequently returns
unsatisfactory results, and I mostly relegated it to search for
"broad search for results that have *something* to with X" eg
apt-cache search cdrom

For packages of which you already have an indication of the name I've found
apt-cache pkgnames | grep TERM
(in your case:  #apt-cache pkgnames | grep glib | grep dev)
a faster way to find the exact name of a particular package.

        friendly,
        Andreas