Re: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion

From: al3xu5 / dotcommon
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Suggestion
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 22:15:32 +0200

On Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:29:49 +0200, Manolinux <address@hidden>
> Maybe there is some explanation to substituted documentation.
> Much of software documentation is done with the GFDL license. This
> license allows invariant sections (parts of the document which you are
> not allowed to modify), which according to Debian guidelines are non
> free, and cannot be included.
> Maybe this is the documentation Victor was talking about, I'm almost
> sure that emacs manual are in GFDL license. Another example are the
> info pages, which in Debian are copies of man pages.
> More info:

they debated GFDL issues about invariant sections, transparent copies,
drm... finally they voted to choose one of these options:
- Option 1 "GFDL-licensed works are unsuitable for main in all cases"
- Option 2 "GFDL-licensed works without unmodifiable sections are free"
- Option 3 "GFDL-licensed works are compatible with the DFSG"
- Option 4 "Further discussion"
and the winner was:
-Option 2 "GFDL-licensed works without unmodifiable sections are free"

now, take a look here:
the winner was:
- Option 2 "Choice 2: Re-affirm support for non-free"

and here:
the winner was:
- Option 1 "Release Etch even with kernel firmware issues"
(as well known by gns and/or linuxlibre users, these issues are
things like binary blobs and/or drivers that induces or requires
installing additional pieces of non-free software)

so... it seems that debian policies consider having unmodifiable
sections in GFDL a more serious issue for freedom than having non-free
software in their repos or binary blobs in the linux kernel...

al3xu5 / dotcommon

Support free software! Join FSF:
Public GPG/PGP key block
ID:           1024D/11C70137
Fingerprint:  60F1 B550 3A95 7901 F410  D484 82E7 5377 11C7 0137
Key download:
[ Please, do not send my key to any keyserver! ]