[gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense on Eee

From: Christophe Jarry
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Re: gNewSense on Eee
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2010 18:45:59 +0100

Hi Matt,

> I'm planning on heading home tonight and installing gNewSense on my
> EeePC.

http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/AsusEeePC describes the
installation process on an Asus EeePC 4G 701, may be of help.

> Does anyone have any experience using the distro on my
> particular model (EeePC 1001P)?  I'm just curious because I want to
> know if there are any hardware issues that I will need to prepare for
> (wifi?).

After some scroogling, it seems your wireless card has the AR2427
chipset (see http://tinycorelinux.com/forum/index.php?topic=6096.0): you
will have problems with wifi with the default install (see
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupport/Machines/Netbooks#Asus%201001P).

But, after installing gNewSense, you can update your kernel to at
least version 2.6.33 so that your wireless card will work with ath9k
driver (see
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ath9k?highlight=%28ar2427%29#supported_chipsets).

To get latest versions of linux-libre, read
http://www.fsfla.org/svnwiki/selibre/linux-libre/index#svnwiki-body-section-2010-11-07-linux-libre-planet-debs.

The guide to make wireless connection work is at
http://www.gnewsense.org/Documentation/Wireless.

Christophe