[gNewSense-users] Hardware that support gnewsense

From: arun prasath
Subject: [gNewSense-users] Hardware that support gnewsense
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:33:58 -0800 (PST)

Dear All,
My laptop (Dell Inspiron N4010,intel core i5 processor, Intel 5 Series/3400 Series Chipset Family PCI Express) comes with some hardware which have no support for ( based on the fact that they do not work with gnewsense without any additional firmware) gnewsense a completely free (as in freedom) GNU/Linux Operating System.So I am considering the replacement of some of them which are very important to me by those hardware which support gnewsense.

I want to have a working wired internet connection.I am listing some of the devices on my system : Ethernet Controller :Attansic Technology Corp. (Atheros AR8152 Ethernet Adapter)

Network Controller :Broadcom Corporation (Unknown Device).

I would like to know what hardware I need to put in place of these to have a wired network connection without the need of a proprietary firmware (preferably cheap).

Another important problem is that no USB device is detected when inserted.
I give some of  the output of lspci and lsusb :
USB Controller :Intel Corporation (Unknown Device)
Bus :001 Device:008 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus :001 Device:007 Dell Computer Corp.
Bus:001 Device:006 Microdia
Bus:001 Device:005 Realtex Semiconductor Corp.
Bus:001 Device:003 Broadcom Corp.

I prefer a device that works with gnewsense without any proprietary firmware.But I do not know what should be replaced by a supported  hardware.

I also mention the audio and video devices for the sake of completion:
Audio Device : Intel Corp (unknown Device)
VGA Compatible Controller : Intel Corp (Unknown Device)
I do not know whether this will result in some problems in playing video and audio files.I wish to know about this issue.

I also looked at the hardware list provided by the FSF.But I was not able to get much information on those devices on the net.

So I request help from this community .This is a long mail. But please go through it .I am depending only on  this community for support .

With Best Regards,
Arun Prasath V