Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Lemote (mipsel) install fails with "Architectu

From: Michael Dorrington
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Re: Lemote (mipsel) install fails with "Architecture not supported".
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 22:15:16 +0100

Paul Roge wrote:
[snip]
>> How do you use the grub-yeeloong package to boot into grub? Or how
>> do you get the grub.elf mentioned in
>> http://wiki.gnewsense.org/Projects/GNewSenseToMIPS#GRUB
>
> Hi Micheal,
>
> Thanks for updating the wikis. I can't help you with grub since I use
> the al and karg variables in pmon directly instead of grub. Maybe
> someone else knows?

I've managed to come up with a solution to use GRUB including generating
the mysterious 'grub.elf'. The gNewSense site talks about booting
'grub.elf' but I could not find how to get a 'grub.elf' on the site,
perhaps gNewSense comes with a grub.elf? I can recommend using the GRUB
method as it boots up much quicker and you get GRUB goodness.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install#Squeeze_boot_loader_GRUB
I've been told to say 'this site might link to proprietary software, so
be careful'.

> On a possibly related note, I had to uninstall the siliconmotion xorg
> driver to start up the x session (LXDE) and disabled the xscreensaver
> to keep the x session from crashing.

I've not had those problems when using the siliconmotion with the
01_mips-sarea.diff patch applied, details at
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianYeeloong/HowTo/Install#Squeeze_X
I've been told to say 'this site might link to proprietary software, so
be careful'.

Regards,
Mike.