Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless,Thanks Morne!

From: Morne Alberts
Subject: Re: [gNewSense-users] Problem going wireless,Thanks Morne!
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2012 09:57:24 +0200

Hi Guido

> Just 2 questions, what do you use as program/utility to check if the ISO is
> corrupted?

You use the "md5sum" command. When you download your ISO the website
should also give you an MD5SUM file. For example, look at this
gNewSense page: http://www.gnewsense.org/Main/Download.
The MD5SUM is a code that is generated by doing calculations on the
ISO. The file provided by the website contains the code generated from
a working ISO.
To test your ISO, run
  md5sum my_iso_name.iso
It will print out a line similar to what is in that MD5SUM file. If
your code is the same as the code in that file then your ISO is not
corrupted.
If you want more information, look here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM

> Then, I usually format the USB and it works with several distro downloaded,
> do you use a utility to check the USB? Please, any tips would be very
> welcome!

If the ISO is not corrupt then it should write properly to the USB
drive. I am not sure if there is a way to test if the physical device
is corrupted (hardware problem) but you can test the partitions by
using the "fsck" command.
For example, if your USB drive has a partition at /dev/sdc1 then you can run:
  fsck /dev/sdc1

Morne