Re: Faking a sender Number

From: Brendan Johan Lee
Subject: Re: Faking a sender Number
Date: Sun, 29 Sep 2002 13:29:24 +0200

Hi Stefan (And those who might be interested)

It seems like you didn't get very many replys to your message, so I thought I would give you a little more information.

There are basically three ways you can fake the sender of a message (or use alphanumerical sender id).

1) Have access to an SMSC. You can either have access to an SMSC directly by speaking CIMD (normally only offered to large content providers, etc) or you can have access through an api (HTTP/HTTPS/XML/etc). An example of the second is through clickatell.

2) You can use a program to send SMS through a dial-in gateway through a modem or ISDN. I myselft made a program to do this 3-4 years ago. Very many (at least european) service providers offer dial-in SMS gateways free of charge. All you have to pay is the cost of the phone call.

3) You can have lots of knowledge about GSM and spoof your caller id (this requires a lot of knowledge and that you are willing to do something illegal)

In a later email you wrote:

Would you think then that there is a way to
prevent anyone
from sending you a false Sender address in any way, perhaps by getting
additional info such as the SMSC through which
an SMS was sent and banning messages from a non-trusted SMSC ?

I don't think this is a good approach. Mainly for two reasons:

1) The dial-in access messages normaly come from the same SMSC number as they would if you sent them directly from your phone using the service provider who offeres the dial-in access. In otherwords you would be banning a lot of "legit" users.

2) Clickatell originated messages can be sent through several different SMSC numbers. Clickatell has agreements with many different service providers world wide and messages sent through their API are delivered through different SMSC's depending on their destinations. An example are SMS messages sent to Norway. They are delivered throught an Icelandic SMSC that is also used by the Icelandic operators "legit" users. Again you would be banning "legit" users.

Basically as an end user you don't really have any guarantee that the sender of a message is true. I mean it could be as simple as a "corrupt employee" at a service provider taking advantage of the possibilities his job offers. However as a service provider, I believe verifying the true sender of a message is a bit more simple.

I hope this message was of interest and help ;-)

Brendan Johan Lee