Re: [Multisync-devel] Multisync Nokia (Gnokii) plugin

From: Balint Reczey
Subject: Re: [Multisync-devel] Multisync Nokia (Gnokii) plugin
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:48:10 +0100 (BST)

 --- Pawel Kot <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, 13 Sep 2004, [iso-8859-1] Balint Reczey
> wrote:
>
> > Telephone numbers containing characters other than
> > digits, + and 'space' cannot be stored.
> > I think it should be fixed in gnokii's
> > gn_phonebook_entry_sanitize()
>
> This is not supported by the phones themself. Either
> using FBUS protocol,
> or usin AT commands, the phone will reject such
> entry. The questionable is
> who should take care of the number validation.
I've met this problem when syncing Ximian Evolution
and Nokia 6310i.
The Evolution contact list contained a default entry
for Ximian, and contained numbers like: (612) 555-111
I think, the gn_entry_sanitize should substitute the
numer with : +612555111, or at least eliminate '-'-s.

> > Gnokii can store limited amount of properties (10
> > subentries per entry), so don't be suprised if
> just a
> > subset of your VCard object appears in your phone.
>
> Again, this is the limit of the phones in most
> cases. I think it is not
> the problem to extend it if there's a need.
It would be really nice to have ability to query the
maximal amount of subentries somehow and store these
subentries in gn_phonebook_entry. Currently
gn_phonebook_entry can store a fixed amount (10) of
subentries.

> > The patch includes a vcard.c file which could be
> used
> > in gnokii instead of current implementation,
> because
> > the original one lacks tests for buffer
> overwrites.
>
> That's odd from you. Wouldn't it be better to submit
> a patch for gnokii?
That's my plan too, but it needed small cleanups. :-)
I'll keep vcard.c in gnokii plugin too, until the
Debian distro accepts the upstream version that
contains the patch.

Balint Reczey

Messenger - all new features - even more fun!  http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com