Re: New to gnokii

From: Phil Ashby
Subject: Re: New to gnokii
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:43:05 +0100

Hi Mark, comments in text..

From: "Mark Brown" <address@hidden>
> I have downloaded 'gnokii-0.6.3.tar.tar' and extracted it

Assuming you are running gnokii on Windows, you need to download the Windows
binary package from here:
http://gnokii.org/download/binaries/win32/gnokii-0.6.3-win32.zip

> 1. is it a MSDOS program?

No. It's a Win32 console program (ie: it will run in a command window, but
it won't run outside Windows).

> 2. when I run 'gnokii.exe' in a MSDOS command promt and say enter
> 'gnokii --getalarm' I get the following message:
>
> couldn't open c:\documents and settings\mark brown\_gnokiirc config file,
> couldn't open gnokiirc config file,
> couldn't open c:\documents and settings\mark brown\_gnokiirc or gnokiirc.

The Windows binary package comes with a sample config file (_gnokiirc),
please make sure you have extracted the package correctly, then read the
sample file and follow the instructions.. a typical config file looks like
this (from my laptop):

[global]
# Not used for IrDA but left for completness.
port=COM1
model=6310i
connection=irda
# This is the default but it reminds me how to turn it on :)
debug=off

> Can some one help me setup gnokii or tell me where there is a document
about setting gnokii up

This is a good start :) http://www.gnokii.org/faq.shtml

> How do I set up what port I am on, what phone I have etc. etc?

See config file comments, the FAQ and the mailing list archives at:
http://mail.nongnu.org/archive/html/gnokii-users/

Phil.