Re: vcf/ldiff export: fields used for phonenumber?

From: Helge Deller
Subject: Re: vcf/ldiff export: fields used for phonenumber?
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2004 07:51:18 +0200

Hi Oliver,

On Thursday 14 October 2004 00:35, Oliver Jusinger wrote:
> mobile: Nokia6230
> gnokii 20041013
> kaddressbook 3.3
>
> Meanwhile the problems reported about a month ago seem to be fixed, thanks!!
> however, I still can't get my kaddressbook entries written into my mobile:
>
> 1) When i export the kaddressbook entries as vcf or ldif and write them with
> gnokii, all entries are written into my phonebook. However: just the names,
> no phonenumber.
> It looks as if the fieldnames exported by kaddressbooks are not the same
> gnokii expects for writing?
>
> vcf:
> BEGIN:VCARD
> CLASS:PUBLIC
> FN:firstname lastname
> N:lastname;firstname;;;
> PRODID:GNOKII_XXPORT-RH12_28_--V 04.28-353768002652209
> TEL;TYPE=HOME:+43699xxxxxxxxx
> UID:7fE5vJ4eEd
> VERSION:3.0
> END:VCARD

The fields I see in Kaddressbook's vcf are:
TEL;TYPE=HOME:xxxx
TEL;TYPE=FAX:yyyy
TEL;TYPE=CELL:ccc

additionally, one of the entries has the PREF value, e.g.
TEL;TYPE=CELL;TYPE=PREF:ppppp

In kaddressbooks I use the PREF entry and write it with the name, additionally
this number also needs to be written first afaicr.

> ldif:
> dn: cn=firstname lastname,mail=
> givenname: firstname
> sn: lastname
> cn: firstname lastname
> uid: 4AD9L0S8xK
> homephone: 0699xxxxxxxxxx
> ou:
> modifytimestamp: 20040911T031055Z
> objectclass: top
> objectclass: person
> objectclass: organizationalPerson
>

> 2) when i use the kaddressbook export to Nokia, the export still stops after
> about 20% (meanwhile i faked libgnokii2.deb on my debian and removed the
> original debian binaries, so i'm quite sure kaddressbook uses the current
> self compiled gnokii files).

It's important, that kaddressbook is _compiled_ with the right headers from
gnokii as well. Did you recompiled kaddressbook after installing the latest
gnokii files ?

> The only debug output i have is:
>
> Message received: 0x03 / 0x0016
> 01 6f 00 0c 00 01 04 00 00 10 00 00 00 13 00 00 |  o
> 04 47 05 00 00 00                               |  G
> Received message type 03
> kaddressbook: WARNING: GNOKII export filter finished.
> Serial device: closing device
>
> It seems in this case kaddressbook exports in a different way than vcf/ldif
> does, because I get the phonebooks stored on my mobile. However just the
> first 20% :-( I'm really courious what kaddressbook does when exporting to
> Nokia..

I assume, that kaddressbook encounters an invalid entry which it can't store to
the phone.
Please ./configure kdepim with the --enable-debug flag and rebuild kaddressbook
from scratch.
This gives you more info on the commandline and might give you an idea which
entry couldn't be stored.

> 3) Feature Wish:
> My mobile just knows names, it doesnt distinguish between first- and lastname.
> Gnokii (or kaddressbook? depends which fields from the vcf/ldif files are
> used
> by gnokii) seems to write name = firstname lastname, so all addresses are
> ordered by firstname.
> It would really be great if this (name = lastname firstname) could be
> configured somewhere.

agreed.

> By the way: the original Nokia Software (Outlook Export) has exactly the same
> problem, my co-worker (Windows user with the same mobile) reported to me. He
> contacted Nokia, they don't seem to care about that. Some hundred phone
> entries sorted by first name are no fun however :-) I dont care about
> Windows, but it would be nice if it could be done with kaddressbook/gnokii
> (i'm not sure where it makes more sense to configure that).

Helge