Re: Correlating SMS sent with Delivery Reports

From: Pawel Kot
Subject: Re: Correlating SMS sent with Delivery Reports
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 00:12:17 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 24 Sep 2004, Gary Reuter wrote:

Hi Gary,

> Hi,
> Some of you may remember me from a few years ago... well, I'm back! :-)

Yeah, that's quite a while since we didn't hear from you. Welcome back :-)

> If I use NDS3 and the virtual modem under Windows, the AT+CMGS to send a
> message, it replies with a reference number.  The next message sent will
> reply with the same number +1.
> When using gnokii/smsd, the reference number is returned in same frame
> that confirms the message was sent (in message[5]).
> The delivery report has the reference number just before the
> report_status, in message[21].
>
> The reference number starts at 1 and it looks like it will 'rollover'
> when it gets to 255 (0x01 -> 0xFF), although I haven't sent that many
> messages yet...
>
> It's easy enough to add a couple lines in the nk6100.c to set the
> raw_sms->reference to the proper value, but my problem is the gn_sms
> structure has no place to keep this value.   As well, some lowlevel
> functions clear the rawsms from the gn_data so it's unuseable from the
> higher-level functions.
>
> So, which is the better solution:
> 1) adding a 'reference' value to the gn_sms structure.
> OR
> 2) removing code that clears the raw_sms info.

Well, if I understant you correctly, the second solution would work only
until we restart application. Then the counter will reset, and we will
count the messages from 0x01 again. So I'd prefer to extend SMS structures
to cover this functionality. And I belive that for better results, we
should store the counter outside the libgnokii -- the application (perhaps
in the database in case of smsd) should keep an eye on this.

BTW. are you use that reference number is only one octet, not two? But
even if so, when we're not sending too many messages (that, no more than
256 are currently being delivered) we can live with this limit.

take care,
pkot
PS. Sorry for the delays in the list moderation. Making the list
subscriber-only really stops loads of spam. And I'm not really good or
regular with doing moderation. Any volunteer for this? ;-)
--
p k o t a t b e z s e n s u d o t p l
http://www.gnokii.org/