Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more

From: Pavel Machek
Subject: Re: QT GUI for gnokii and more
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2005 21:35:53 +0200

Hi!

> > > I don't think it is that easy. DCOP is qt-based. DBUS seems to be the
> > > future standard, but I don't think it's already in place on all
> > > platforms (Mac, win32, embedded). I don't want to introduce a new
> > > communication protocol and I want to leave the possibility for
> > > extending it.
> >
> > Well, I guess right solution is then either "just use DCOP", or decide
> > that DBUS is right thing to do, just use it, and let people that care
> > port DBUS to mac, win32 or embedded (if they care).
>
> Why not add more flexibility to the daemon?

Well, flexibity is okay when it does not slow you down... but if you
create two interfaces, you are going to make at least one of them
wrong.

> > Of course I like the DCOP thing because it works on Linux desktop and
> > also should work on PDAs :-).
>
> So a technical question regarding DCOP. I fail to see how do I
> asynchronously publish an event that anyone would subscribe to it. I
> mean something like gnoki daemon gets an information from the phone
> "new SMS arrived" and sends a message/broadcast saying this. There may
> be no application that would get this message, there may be a system
> tray thingy that would show an envelope after receiving this, or more
> applications doing simirilar or other things. Is it possible to do
> with DCOP interface?

I'm not sure. I googled a bit, and it seems they are thinking about
DCOP/DBUS merging... I'm not sure if DCOP can do broadcasts, see
message #2.

http://lists.freedesktop.org/pipermail/dbus/2005-January/002046.html
http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=110675512611790&w=2

                                                                  Pavel