gnomoradio-devel

[gnomoradio-devel] P2P file sharing links

From: Ole Laursen
Subject: [gnomoradio-devel] P2P file sharing links
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2003 22:44:09 -0000

Hi,

The gnomoradio site is a little scarce on details, but I read that you
are going to implement a peer-to-peer file sharing layer. I don't know
how far the plans regarding that is, but I would really hate to see
such an interesting project repeat the mistake of Gnutella.

Our current university project is about a P2P distributed file system
for LANs, so we have found various research projects concerning P2P
networks on the Internet. For instance, you might want to consider:

  Chord - quite simple, good intro paper with overview of related work
  http://www.pdos.lcs.mit.edu/chord/

  Kademlia - even simpler, but the paper is more involved
  http://kademlia.scs.cs.nyu.edu/

  Oceanstore - more complex
  http://oceanstore.cs.berkeley.edu/

There are some others, too. I have collected some of the articles here
(they won't be there for more than a couple of months, they're really
just for my university group):

  http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/misc/artikler/

l25.txt is lecture notes from a guy from New York University, and
might be interesting. The NYU also have more projects:

  http://www.scs.cs.nyu.edu/

Coral might just be exactly what you are looking for.

It took us some time to dig up Chord and friends, and I don't think
they are widely known, so... If you already knew all this, please just
ignore my letter. I'm not on the mailing list.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.auc.dk/~olau/