Re: [Gnu-arch-users] bug tracker and patch tracking

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] bug tracker and patch tracking
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 08:02:35 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Tom Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > > If you have some changes that you'd like me to merge, you can now
    > > create a bug-database issue for them.
    >
    > Do you want the bug-database to be the main avenue for
    > submission,

Well, yes, but, as you note:

    > or should we also send a note to the mailing list (I notice that the
    > bug-database automatically sends email about the bug to gnu-arch-users,
    > but the report it sends seems nigh-well unreadable)?

I could live with the headers although I think it'd be better to
append those to the end, perhaps as an attachment.  It's the (lack of)
line wrapping that I find really horrible.   In the case of bugs
that I've started entering -- I've been cut-n-pasting those right
from my bug mail and _still_ the line breaks are lost.

This is quite frustrating and I'm not sure what the best thing is.

Asking people to report bugs and patches twice, in two different ways,
seems like a complete lose to me.

So:

a) Does anyone feel like volunteering to hack Savannah in this area?
   (Assuming that the Savannah admins would permit it.)

b) Some projects implement the idea of patch trackers and bug
   trackers: volunteers who watch the list for patches or bugs
   and keep the issue db up-to-date, etc.   I'm not too sure that's
   a great use of volunteer effort but if its something people enough
   people want to do then I guess it would be.

c) Any other ideas?