Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Questions from a Subversion user

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Questions from a Subversion user
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 18:17:24 -0400

On Mon, Aug 18, 2003 at 06:43:20PM +0100, Bruce Stephens wrote:
> > 4. A lot of documentation talks about people making new repositories
> >    each year because old ones get "big"
>
> It's the number of revisions, I suspect.

Actually I think it's meant to address namespace pollution.  If you're a good
arch user and make branches out the wazoo, you may end up with a lot of
dead-end branches, and maybe categories of failed projects, etc.  They don't
really interfere that much (unless for some reason you want to re-use a
branch name or something, and don't like the idea of bumping the version),
but do clutter things up, abrowse output, etc.

[As far as I can see, moving to a new archive doesn't affect the way
revisions are applied at all; if you don't add some cached versions, it will
happily go back to the old archive and apply revisions from there!]

I also think that it may simply be a good habit to at least occasionally move
your archive -- it forces you to put in place the tools/whatever to make such
a move possible, so if there comes a time when you're _forced_ to move you're
in a better position.

Some reasons you might be forced to move: (1) your email address changes, so
the one in the archive name is bogus (it's just a string, but personally I
don't want to publicize an obsolute email address), (2) your old archive
becomes too big for any existing disk (you hacker stud!)....  :-]

-Miles
--
A zen-buddhist walked into a pizza shop and
said, "Make me one with everything."