Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [arch-users] fixing the problem of posting to t

From: Tom Lord
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 11:21:02 -0700 (PDT)

    > reply-to munging is evil.

Oh dear.  So many messages on this.   I should've used that one to
inaugurate the new list instead of SCO vs. the world.

One thing to be aware of is that I do not administer the old
address@hidden list.   It's not up to me what
happens to that list.

The other thing to be aware of is that I agree completely with Bob
Anderson:  reply-to munging seems to me to do exactly the right thing
for a list like this, yet it also appears to be a "point of honor"
among email geeks and generates no shortage of complaints.   I can
certainly believe that some people use muas for which munging is
exactly the wrong thing.  The view that it is wrong is apparently
supported by the standards.

I originally (before the list switch) set up gnu-arch-users to munge.
Several people complained about reply-to munging when I announced the
switch.   Nobody defended it.   The administration web pages on
Savannah, where they allow you to enable munging, say something like
"Not recommended."

At some point the amount of effort put into flaming about reply-to
munging exceeds the amount of effort to make better MUAs.   Collective
insanity at its finest.