[Gnu-arch-users] something _interesting_ for (Re: ... no reply-to mungin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] something _interesting_ for (Re: ... no reply-to munging ...)
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 13:21:33 -0700 (PDT)

>From the "what it might look like" department:

    > From: MJ Ray <address@hidden>

    > On 2003-08-20 15:18:37 +0100 Robert Anderson
    > <address@hidden> wrote:
    > > I'll repeat for the Nth time: there is _no way_ in my mailer under the
    > > current setup to reply to the _list only_.

    > And I'll repeat for the Nth time: it is a known bug in your mailer
    > acknowledged by the developers.

Right _there_ is the interesting thing.

If Bob was using a well-designed system, instead of going through
the quintuple indirection of:

        known bug
        -> developers know about it
        -> eventually it will be fixed
        -> eventually the fix will show up in the distro
        -> eventually you'll upgrade

by now somebody would have said something like:

        here, put this in .emacs-inits/mail-mode/reply-to-list.scm:

        (define (list-reply-icon channel)
          (show channel
              (compose (generic-reply-icon)
                       (translate 100 100
                                  (string->glyppath (icon-font) "List"))

        (define-command (reply-to-list message-buffer)
           (interactive  (list (current-message-buffer))
                         :toolbar-icon list-reply-icon
                         :toolbar-rank 50)
           .... 10 lines of code ommitted ...)

        (define-key mail-reader-bindings [M-l] 'reply-to-list)
        (define-key mail-reader-bindings [menu Reply "To List"] 'reply-to-list)

or even just:

        There's a "reply-to-list" command you can pick up by pointing
        your extension-manager at:

        Supposedly this is scheduled to make it into some future release.

        (My public key and other info is at  There's a commerce
         page for my emacs hacks at  in case you
         want to subscribe to the project.)