Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some "How Do I" questions

From: Jason McCarty
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Some "How Do I" questions
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 16:20:40 -0400

John Goerzen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've gone through the Arch tutorial and have a few basic questions
> about its use:
>
> 1. I would like to get the full contents of logs that pertain to a
>    file -- but only to one file.  That is, logs from
>    changesets/patches that do not pertain to foo.c should be ignored.
>    (Analogous to cvs log foo.c)

Not sure about this one...I simplt grep -r filename {arch}/<category name>.
It would be easier if the header lines weren't line-wrapped in the logs,
then you could just grep -e -r -l 'Modified-files: .*filename' {arch}/<catname>.

> 2. I would like to get, in standard unified diff format, diffs from
>    certain files or the whole tree from any arbitrary version to the
>    next.  This is often useful for sending patches to people that do
>    not use Arch and is something I would do on a regular basis.  I
>    understand the inherent limitations in the format, but need the
>    capability anyway.  CVS analog: cvs diff -r1 -r5 file.c

I don't see a way to diff between arbitrary versions, but to diff from
any version and the file as it is now, "tla file-diffs file revision".

> 3. When might someone wanting to branch off the mainline create a new
>    repository as opposed to just using tla tag?

I'm not sure what you mean...the only way of "branching" is to tag. Tags
can cross arbitrary category and archive boundaries.

> 4. How can I create freeform tags?  Ie, cvs tag REL_4_0_1 or
>    cvs tag BEFORE_CHANGING_BIGSTUFF?

You want to use configs for that. Look at the tutorial section,
"Multi-tree Projects and Configuration Management," and see Tom's
dists--devo branch for a good practical example.

HTH,

Jason