[Gnu-arch-users] Re: [Bug-gnu-arch] [bug #4935] Add '--tag TAG' option t

From: Miles Bader
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: [Bug-gnu-arch] [bug #4935] Add '--tag TAG' option to the ' tla add-tag' command
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 14:25:03 -0400

BTW, there was some discussion earlier about changing the term `tag' to `id'
in arch commands/documents to avoid confusion with the more common use of tag
(which arch also uses!).

That would also fit well if the new embedded-tag marker is `arch-id:'.

I'd like to do this, at least for tla commands, so Tom if you don't like the
idea, please speak up.

Unfortunately, the term `tag' as, pertains to source tagging, seems fairly
well embedded in arch, e.g., the =tagging-method file, so it's not clear to
me to what degree this should/can be done.

In tla at least there are the following commands:

                     inv-tag : report the inventory tag for a file
              tagging-method : print or change a project tree tagging method
                     add-tag : add an explicit inventory tag
                  delete-tag : remove an explicit inventory tag
                    move-tag : move an explicit inventory tag
                 default-tag : print or modify default tags
            tagging-defaults : print the default =tagging-method contents

The `-tag' commands seem reasonable to change, but what about the others?
I think `iding' is not a particularly nice replacement for `tagging.'

How about the following:

                       id : report the inventory id for a file
        id-tagging-method : print or change a project tree id tagging method
                   add-id : add an explicit file id
                delete-id : remove an explicit file id
                  move-id : move an explicit file id
               default-id : print or modify default file ids
      id-tagging-defaults : print the default =tagging-method contents

The term `id-tagging' is a bit more cumbersome, but I think these commands are
not used all that often.

Thanks,

-Miles
--
Occam's razor split hairs so well, I bought the whole argument!