Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive order?

From: Tobias C. Rittweiler
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] archive order?
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 21:21:29 +0200

On Saturday, August 23, 2003 at 8:51:31 PM,
    Tom Lord <address@hidden> wrote:

> > My question is: since most of the time you actually want the latest
> > revision and then sometime (less often) you want to grab some older
> > historical revision, why doesn't the archive actually keep an up to date
> > (ie latest revsion) copy of the src and then just apply the changesets
> > "backwards" to get older revisions?
> > Does that make sense or do I have things backwards?
>

> It makes sense.  Archive-caching and revision libraries give
> essentially the same effect as the optimization your asking about.

I wonder. Shouldn't that optimization lead to less "waste" of disk space
in most cases?

I can see advantages of archive-caching, for example if you cache, say,
every 30 revisions, and you want to retrieve a delta between different
revisions (not to speak about a rev-lib). But to achieve the same
consume of disk space as the optimization would do , it'd be necessary
to delete cached revisions again (which operation, again, would consume
time).

-- tcr (address@hidden)  ``Ho chresim'eidos uch ho poll'eidos sophos''