[Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch taglines for emacs

From: Tom Lord
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: arch taglines for emacs
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 11:59:19 -0700 (PDT)

[Please don't reply without trimming the recipients.  This has been
CROSS POSTED.]

    > From: various people

    [in various messages, on and off list:

        proposed alternative syntaxes for tags

        affirmation that multi-line tags are ugly

        possibility of using the
    >       /*arch-tag: 53bb84c6-dee0-46c6-a275-2db144993d89*/
    ]

I'll leave this pretty much up to you guys ("To:" line).  Here's my
position and observations:

1) I think everybody now agrees that a strictly upward compatible
   alternative tagline syntax is desirable.

2) It sure would be smart, imo, to help make emacs developers happy
   given the size of the project, it's position within the GNU
   project, and this early effort to try out arch by miles.
   Basically, I think this is a good thing for the arch project to do.

3) An alternative syntax is pretty easy -- if need be, I'm sure we can
   nail down what to do in that regard within 2 days of deciding too
   and implement it within 5.  There's no big need to back-and-forth
   over the details until then or across multiple lists.  Most of the
   suggestions have been just fine -- to an extent, it's an arbitrary
   choice.

4) I'm willing to do any of the following:

        a) nothing (for now).  You decide to use the current
           `arch-tag:' syntax as shown above.

        b) go into a quick design/merge cycle with miles to
           put in a new syntax sooner rather than later.

        c) put in a new syntax myself.

   Obviously (c) is "least desirable" but, in absolute terms, it's
   not that much work.   (a) would be my choice by default but
   (2) and (3) mean I'm happy to to do (b) or (c), too.

   In favor of (a): going that route poses the least risk to my
   degrees of freedom doing other changes to the "inventory" subsystem
   of arch going forward -- but I'll qualify that by saying that I
   don't see the risk of not doing (a) as huge.

So, tell me what to do to help keep Emacs folks happy.  Your call.