[Gnu-arch-users] question about splitting categories

From: list-arch-users
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] question about splitting categories
Date: 25 Aug 2003 11:59:33 -0400

Posit the following (purely hypothetical) scenario:

I've created the project 'hello-world--mainline--0.1', similar to that
described in the document "Arch meets hello-world".  In addition to
the GUI front-end, I've added networking and database capability, so
that the source tree now consists of a top-level "src" directory,
which in turn contains "gui", "net" and "db" subdirectories, each
containing a Makefile and various .c and .h files.

This goes along fine for a few months until, buoyed by the huge
commercial success of the "hello-world" application, I start work on a
new application, call it "goodbye-world".  So I create
'goodbye-world--mainline--0.1", and off I go.

However, I soon discover that the "net" and "db" sources in
"hello-world" are exactly what I want for "goodbye-world", and in
fact, they probably should be spun off into their own libraries,
meaning two more categories: "world-net-lib" and "world-db-lib".  Is
there a way to do this cleanly in Arch while (hopefully) preserving
revision histories and not breaking all developers' source trees?

As an aside, one of the few qualities of CVS which I consider to be a
strength is that every directory is implicitly considered a module,
and can always be treated as a unit independent of its parent
hierarchy.  Unfortunately, as CVS lacks the ability to move and rename
directories, the advantage is rarely exploited in CVS shops, and
source trees tend to become more monolithic as they evolve, rather
than more modular.

--Mirian