[Gnu-arch-users] tla bash completion

From: Jonas Diemer
Subject: [Gnu-arch-users] tla bash completion
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:40:03 +0200

Hi!

Is there a bash programmable completion script for tla yet? I haven't found one
yet so I started to port the svn one to tla. Tom said there already is a
script, maybe someone can give me a link...

Doing the script myself, I've found some inconsistencies in the tla options:

1. the option -d usually is equivalent to --dir, but sometimes (e.g. tla
register-archive), -d means --delete. This is not only confusing but also hard
to implement in my bash script so I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. In my
oppinion, -d should not be used as a shortcut to --delete. There are several
other examples of such inconsistencies. I suggest to never have shortcuts whith
different meanings in different contexts. Either use capitalization to
distinguish between different shortcuts starting with the same name or not use
a shortcut at all, because the status quo is very misleading.

2. Some commands use -q|--quiet to make them shut up (e.g. tla what-changed),
some use -s|--silent (e.g. tla tree-root). I don't know if there is a slightly
different meaning to those to variations of "shut up", but if not I suggest to
unify them.

regards

Jonas